image 7 of
15-03-04/ 1

Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) church and mosque, now museum. Built under Justinian (527-565) over a 4th ct. basilica. Minarets were added when the church became a mosque after the Turkish conquest in 1453. Painted-over mosaics were restored under sultan Abdul Mecit in 1847. Hagia Sophia was the seat of the Orthodox patriarch of Constantinople (also known as Byzanz or Istanbul) and a principal setting for Byzantine imperial ceremonies. In this church the coronation of emperor Alexios IV Angelo took place on August 1 1203.

Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey